Tuesday, September 8, 2009

the Catcher in the Rye

(note: any post made on a novel is intended for those who are reading along at the same pace or for a comparison of opinions after reading. If you are sensitive to plot spoilers please do not read)



Just started The Catcher in the Rye. It's quite a jarring change from the last novel I finished, The Woman in White (a sensation novel, fully published in 1860). In fact, the last few novels I have read have been by English authors in the 1800's. Most likely it will take a few chapters to readjust to an American author. Knowing that I have a tendency of appreciating English novels to American I cannot say that I can offer a completely unbiased opinion of J.D. Salinger's novel. At this point in the book (I am only yet in the first few pages) the narrators harsh way with words sets a very casual/improper tone and leaves my first impression of his nature being that he is a brutal character of low intelligence. Whether this is my tendency as a reader to too quickly set a judgement upon the main character or Salinger's intention we shall see later. I try to make it a point to enter into any book without any knowledge of the author or the inspiration for the story. All introductions, commentaries and author biographies only add to the richness of a novel after the first reading (this is only my way of enjoyment).

No comments:

Post a Comment