Friday, September 18, 2009

The Leopard



(note: any post made on a novel is intended for those who are reading along at the same pace or for a comparison of opinions after reading. If you are sensitive to plot spoilers
please do not read)



Just started the next book on my List. The Leopard by Giuseppe Di Lampedusa. This is definitely going to be a difficult read. As far as the current list is concerned I have been very pleased with my reading material, this will be the first book that I'm actually forcing myself through.

From past experience I have noticed an issue with translated literature. At first I thought that I just had a dislike for indian literature. Now I believe there really is something lost in translation. This goes beyond the actual written word and into cultural misunderstandings as well I'm sure.

The Leopard is translated from Italian. The back of the novel will tell you it is "rich" in observation. I would say it's EXTREMELY descriptive, but not in a rich way, more in a redundant way. It comes across like flat poetry. Too many details in places that should be left up to the reader to create and interpret. I'm not sure if this is how the narrative was meant to be written or if its a translation issue. I could turn to any page....any paragraph and give an example of this style of writing, but I think there is no reason to drag along in this manner.

I also have an extreme dislike for the main character. I just picture this massive glutton of a selfish prince who indulges in himself in the most disgusting of manners. He isn't described this way per se....but thats the image thats left in my mind. I have noticed in the translated books that I have read I'm usually not fond of the protagonist. Which does not give me enough to carry on with the novel. I don't care what happens to him. I don't care what lessons in life he learns. The ending of the novel would leave me feeling as if a sitcom had been playing in the background never been watched. "oh its over.....alright whats next".

This will give you a general impression of what the main character left me feeling (and I honestly cant remember his name as I find myself drifting and rereading paragraphs). The first night after reading a few pages of The Leopard I fell asleep and had a dream that I was held captive in a luxurious castle. There was still the contrast of luxury vs poverty as it was gray and raining outside. I wasn't help captive as a slave, but as a woman trapped in a harem of woman that the kind owned. The king was the kind of man that sweated profusely and breathed heavily with any exertion. The kind of person that easily looses food down their chin when they eat. Someone that would bathe in champagne while families inches away are happy to bathe at all. ::shudder:: Anyway, in this dream I was stuck in the bedroom of the harem, and it was my luck to get the bed of the king. I remember just laying there staring at the orange silk covering every surface, listening the the shapeless breathing lard next to me, having an anxiety attack wondering how I was going to escape.

Thanks The Leopard

No comments:

Post a Comment